After currently living in Leeds for nearly 2 months, the number of times I’ve wished I could stay longer has been far too many. Yet this said, knowing that I only have a limited amount of time here, I really have learnt to live in the moment, forgotten to worry about the future and just go out and do everything.
The amount of travel opportunities, local events and Uni activities that happen here are endless! And the thought of trying to make the most of everything in 4 short months made me feel quite overwhelmed.
The solution? A ‘Study Abroad’ bucket list of course! Surprisingly most of the things I ended up writing down were just simple everyday activities here in the UK. For example, having a Sunday Roast, doing the Otley Run (a famous Leeds pub crawl), going hiking, visiting the Christmas Markets and seeing a local gig.
Here’s a short photo journal of some of things I’ve achieved in the past 10 weeks:
- Attend a formal lunch at Devonshire Hall (my university accommodation)
- Go hiking in the Yorkshire Dales
- Visit Paris for the weekend (with my lovely friend Caitlin who is also from UON and is studying in Lille, France)
- Attend a Leeds Varsity game (we won for the first time in over 10 years!)
- See MØ perform at the University of Leeds
- Celebrate my 20th birthday with a whole lot of new friends from all over the world
What are the next events to tick off in the coming 2 and a half months? Well, visiting Dublin for the weekend, meeting my pen pal in Germany, enjoying a White Christmas and surprisingly obtaining a Management Consulting Certificate (see Mum and Dad, I actually am studying!).
If there’s one thing I’m sure of in life, it’s that deciding to take this journey has been the best decision I’ve made for myself. I definitely have a greater appreciation for life and have learnt how important it is to treasure every moment, live for the now and say ‘yes’ more often.
by Bronte Linich – Newcastle University – Australia